Welcome to the blog of David Phillips. Here you'll find my thoughts and findings on Home Cinema, most things techie, a bit of DIY and maybe even some photography if I'm feeling brave...
A few years back, I was standing in a rock bar in Ibiza (the Pinguin Bar, but that's another story) chatting to a friend of a friend about photography. He introduced me to the concept of HDR over a few beers, so I went back home and did some learning. There are many places where you can read about how HDR works, but this is the quick and dirty answer. Cameras can't see as well as the human eye (which is pretty shit hot when it comes to seeing stuff) - a great example of this is during F1 (Grand Prix? Motorsport? Oh, nevermind...) where a car goes through a tunnel - as the end of the tunnel approaches all you can see is a huge white light. Now, when I drive my car through a tunnel and out the other side I don't have this problem, as my eyes kick the camera's arse at this.
I've always enjoyed a game of pinball, and I recently went down the rabbit hole of virtual pinball machines. I'd seen pinball games over the years, and enjoyed them, but never really LOVED playing them with a controller or keyboard. During some random late-night internet exploring, I discovered things have come quite some way... So, I set about planning my own virtual pinball machine. I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible, as the main reason I don't want to buy a real machine is the cost. Parts List - First Round First up, screens: 43" 1080p Sharp TV - Playfield (already had this) 24" 1080p monitor - Backglass $30 9" screen - Dot Matrix Display (DMD) Next I needed a suitable PC. The specs I settled on were: Ryzen 5 3600 RX 580 8gb MoBo, SSD, PSU, etc Other bits and pieces: Zero delay USB board and arcade buttons ($40 from Amazon) Cheap PC speakers (will upgrade later) This is all I really needed to start with the software set up. It's a bit of a p...
I've been meaning to write this for a long time, as it took me long enough to get motivated to find out! If you search around there are some really good articles on the subject, but it's a whole heap of stuff that can get quite confusing if not explained concisely - and also there waaaay too much information for the fumbling amateur like me. It just freaks me out. So, what the fuck is aperture? Basically, the size of the hole the light comes through! So let's take a quick look at the setting on the camera. Really simple, it has a little 'Av' icon - you can see it pretty clearly in the photo. Select this and you'll be able to adjust the size of the aperture.
Comments
Post a Comment